Tuesday, January 28, 2014

THE IRONY






Let me just preface this post with this: I do not cry in movies. 

I didn't cry in Titanic when Rose let Jack sink to the bottom of the Atlantic.

I didn't cry when Whatshername in A Walk to Remember died after her and Thatoneguy got married.

I didn't cry when Allie and that old man who was supposed to be the old-man-version of Ryan Gosling somehow miraculously died together in the same night in The Notebook.


I DO NOT CRY IN MOVIES.


But I watched Captain Phillips tonight.

And it wasn't that he was held hostage that had my tears flowing, or the fact that [SPOILER ALERT] those Navy Seals shot all three men at the same time and no one even cared that Captain Phillips was splashed with their blood. It wasn't that he was blindfolded when those three died, and it wasn't that he heard those gunshots that were followed by silence and with blood in his mouth cried out, "What was that?!" 

No, no my tears came after that. 
It was when he gets to the doctors and they're trying to fix him up, 
and it was the way he couldn't form a coherent sentence 
and it was that he looked so broken. 

But mostly I cried because no one was giving this man a hug. I know that sounds dumb. But honestly? This man has been held hostage, and he was beaten, and he almost died.
      AND NO ONE COULD GIVE THIS MAN A HUG. 

I know this is just a movie but actually no it's not. Because this happened five years ago. And I don't know if anyone actually gave him a hug, but that's what got me.

The irony of me crying when someone is saved, and not when someone dies.
My life is ironic.

Okay, that's all.

Don't worry, it's going to be okay.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't even seen this movie. But damn, people don't understand that sometimes the best thing you can do for someone is to give them a hug. And just reading this made me want to cry. Good Job! I'm glad you're still writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you're still writing!! This was beautiful and I never cry in movies either but I get extremely sad when people are mean to the poor old far guys like in jurassic park they leave the old fat guy to die because he's the slowest and can't run away from the dinosaur.... Anyways idk you're cool and I love this thank you

      Delete
  2. I read part of this the other day, but then I saw the spoiler alert and so I just skimmed it.

    Then I watched Captain Phillips tonight.

    And that was the same part that got me. You wrote what I think I was thinking. Good job.

    ReplyDelete

all it'll ever be

I’m watching this show, Normal People , and it’s extremely dramatic and emo, and the characters move kind of slow, except that slow...